Who Are We?
The University Administrators of Ophthalmology (UAO) is the premiere resource for ophthalmic administrators. As the only organization serving academic administrators in ophthalmology, we are dedicated to meeting your specialized needs. The UAO provides professional development tools, networking opportunities and, through its confidential listserv, an exclusive forum for information exchange.
The UAO is a member-driven organization. One example of this commitment is our annual meeting, which is designed around member suggestions and recommendations.
- Professional Development: We support educational programs on current topics in managing an ophthalmic department.
- Networking: We provide multiple avenues for members to exchange information.
- Resources: The UAO develops and disseminates resource solutions for members to use in their own departments.
Our organization fosters mutual respect and professionalism in a collegial atmosphere. We encourage member participation and collaboration.
Academic ophthalmology has issues not found in private practice settings or in other academic departments. Membership in the University Administrators of Ophthalmology (UAO) gives you access to a wealth of information on clinical operations, financial management, human resources, compliance/risk management, information technology and more. Our members experience the same challenges in research, education and clinical activities that you face daily; our members-only listserv allows you to network with colleagues across the country when you need answers.
- Discounted registration fee for our annual meeting
- Members-only listserv for rapid, confidentialinformation exchange
- Professional networking opportunities
- Career-enhancing UAO leadership opportunities
Who Can Join
Members must be key administrators in departments or divisions of ophthalmology in ACGME accredited medical schools, hospitals or other appropriate institutions throughout the United States and Canada. Members are required to pay annual dues. If you have questions about eligibility, please contact any of the UAO board members listed on the website.
More than one individual may join from a department, but duties must be administrative/managerial.